Friday, February 18, 2011

Getting ready for Spring

With the warm weather today, I started thinking about what I want to wear this Spring! Like I said before, there are so many options now. The only thing you want to think about is "what works for me?" There might be styles out there that you love but might not work that well with your frame or skin tone. Personally, I cannot wear orange or shoulder pads. But if you can rock those styles-- go right ahead! Ask your best friend-- most likely they will be honest. :)

If you are overwhelmed, study themes: certain decades, TV shows, etc. Some examples that are going to be hot this spring are:

The 20's (Boardwalk Empire): Lacy, feminine, baby doll pink, nude, silk. Tops that are loose fitting with long skirts and lace up boots. If you want to start with accessories, I saw a great line in ICING in the mall.

The 50's/60's (Mad Men/ I love Lucy): This is personally my favorite style. I love pencil skirts and poco dots. This is a great look for girls with curves. Check out stores like New York & Co. They have great sales and seperates that will carry through any season. For the guys this decade is very sexy! Pin-stripe suits! Your best bet is to check out GQ Magazine or Men's Warehouse. If you are tight on cash, you can get similar styles at Marshall's.

80's: Geometric shapes and neon colors or you can go to the other end of the spectrim and channel your punk side. Skinny jeans, knee high boots, a cropped leather jacket.  HOT! Don't spend a lot on this look. Hit the thrift stores for discounts.

Really, my best style advice is confidence. You will look good in anything if you are confident in your own skin.

HOT SHOT OF THE WEEK:

 Sara, student in VT, (and the inpiration for my blog) rocks the thrift store!
Here is her favorite look for the winter-- and I LOVE IT!

Leather Jacket - Thrifted ($15)
Cream Silk Dress - Goodwill ($5)
Cream Slip (worn under dress) - Thrifted ($.05...yeah, five cents!!)
Scarf - Thrifted ($2)
Black Belt - Thrifted ($1)
Maroon Tights  - Canadian Grocery Store ($3)
Black Booties - DSW ($15)
Earrings - Made by her mom! (free)

DON'T WE LOVE IT! Rock on Sara!
Tune in on Monday when we start our week of MAKEUP!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the Mad Men style... I love it, though sometimes with my curves if the material isn't right (read: better quality) it is too tight in the hips. I did find this amazing dress on sale at Dress Barn (they have amazing 60-70% off sales all the time) and I am in love!! http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/bird%27s-eye-tweed-belted-sheath-dress/100804566/150

    ReplyDelete