Monday, October 7, 2013
My Top Favorite Tips!
Hello my ladies!
After reviewing my past posts and some of the latest fashion magazines, I have compiled my top ten favorite tips on keeping you trendy and saving a buck or two.
10. Be a rewards member of your favorite stores/ websites. I know it sucks when you get 25 emails a day, but that ONE day you are heading to the mall to shop, it will be a HUGE savings to download coupons, check out their social media for sales news, for having their rewards card, or filling out their surveys. I am also OBSESSED with the free app RetailMeNot! If you haven't checked this out, you must! You walk in the mall and it will tell you every sale/promo that is going on. You just show the cashier the coupon and BAM you have saved $$$!
9. If your wallet is having a hard time keeping up with latest trends, focus on smaller ways to look fresh through your accessories and hairstyles. Using Pinterest, for example, could give you DIY ideas for making your own jewelry or how to make that awesome top bun! You all know how obsessed I am with scarves and great earrings!
8. On the trendy topic, don't feel like you need to take part in EVERY trend that is popular. I am actually horrified by some of the things that are popular right now, especially if they are styles reoccurring from the 80's or 90's. Don't get me wrong: I love the My So-Called Life Style, but no one needs shoulder pads or a body suit! Stay true to your own style. Maybe incorporate that gorgeous purple handbag that you love with your every day tee shirt and jeans. Adding a statement bag takes some of the pressure off your wardrobe.
7. Use your statement piece to create your whole look! This could be anything from the bag above to a great pair of boots, a sexy LBD, even a jewel toned eye shadow. My statement pieces make my whole outfit feel likes it comes together. For example, my favorite statement piece would be my Nine West suede boots. I LOVE THEM! They make me feel sexy whenever I get to wear them!
6. Your makeup can really add a theme to your look for the day. Whether it is for work, a special occasion, or even if you just need to FEEL better! Most days, I start getting ready by doing my makeup and hair before I even decide what I am going to wear. It might dictate my whole look if I decide to wear a dark lipstick or just a light, shimmery eye shadow. Even if you aren't good at makeup, adding gloss and mascara can really make you look refreshed.
5. Shop for those DEALS! Sometimes shopping can be a marathon. Whether you are looking for that one special piece, or just adding to your next season's wardrobe, patience is a virtue! Check out the clearance sections of your favorite stores, discount stores like TJ Maxx, or even the Goodwill. I found a great pair of name brand jean capris for my FL vacation for $2.50!!!
4. I love to layer. There are so many good reasons to do so. Don't forget to accent your figure, you don't want to look frumpy-- but layering can save you money by allowing you to incorporate different seasons together, for hiding that one troubled spot, STAYING WARM, adding a creative style, adding a pop of color! SO MANY REASONS!!!! For example, my favorite thing to do right now is layer a summer dress under a great cardigan with bright tights and my BOOTS. :) Add a scarf or a statement necklace and you are bound to feel amazing when you walk out the door.
3. Know the inventory of your closet! Once a season you want to go through your clothes, shoes, and accessories to not only get rid of the things YOU NEVER WEAR (I am sorry honey, but those 6 inch heels will NEVER be comfortable!) but to also remind yourself of what you do have, and what you love! I just reorganized my jewelery box and realized how many great pairs of earrings I have. You can display things differently to not only add character to a room, but remind you everyday to add that new scarf or your favorite necklace. This will keep you in check before you go shopping: "No I don't need a 6th PAIR OF BLACK DRESS PANTS! But this grey pair might be a nice addition."
2. Re-purpose, reuse, recycle! If the bottom of your favorite jeans are torn up, turn them into your favorite pair of capris! Dig out that sewing machine or needle and thread to add some detail or color to that old blazer. You have a bracelet that you love and never wear? Wrap it around your pony tail or bun!
1. Don't forget your friends! Having an exchange party is not only a great excuse to get together, it is a really inexpensive way to add or take away from your closet! Invite a few of your girlfriends over to your house and ask them to bring any unwanted accessories, handbags, or clothes. Have some great snacks and drinks while you all shop through each others stuff! New-To-You is just as good as brand new, and your wallet will thank you!!!
Thanks for tuning in ladies! Come back for SHANNON REACTS TO BAD FASHION!!!!